How Important is Roof Ventilation?
According to U.S. codes, there must by law be at least one square foot of ventilation for every 150 square feet of roofing. So what's so important about roofing ventilation? Actually, it's one of the most important parts of your roofing's structure.
Proper roof ventilation extends the lifespan of your roof by preventing build-ups of condensation and moisture formation. These can lead to mold and mildew growth, which will cause your roofing to start to rot. It can also have a negative effect on your home's indoor air quality, and it can be very harmful to your family's health. The Oakland County roofing contractors at Alpine Roofing Complete can provide you with roofing services and ensure that your roofing always has proper ventilation.
Benefits of Roof Ventilation
Proper ventilation will benefit your home in a number of ways:
- It increases your Oakland County home's energy efficiency, lowering the cost of heating and cooling.
- It will reduce the chances of a house fire. Also, in the event of a fire, it will let smoke escape your home instead of accumulating.
- It prevents condensation and mold growth inside the roof deck, which extends your roof's lifespan.
- It keeps the attic space cool.
Types of Vents
There are several different types of vents that you be used for roof ventilation.
- Roof ridge vents are installed along the ridge line. These are used for exhaust or outflow of stale air, heat, and moisture.
- Soffit vents and eaves go along the lowest parts of the roof and deal with the intake of ventilation.
If your Oakland County home is older, it's possible that you might not have either of these vents. Today's homes are built to be much more tightly sealed than homes of the past were, so older homes didn't require extra ventilation. Older homes are less energy efficient because of incidental cracks and openings, but they often don't need ventilation.
In newer homes, air is tightly sealed in, so roof vents are very important. Newer homes have excellent energy efficiency, but without roof vents, you’ll find moisture accumulating. This will rot your wood and release mold spores into your air. If you notice the problem too late and don’t have it immediately repaired, you’ll see the destruction of your roof. You may also see adverse effects on your family's health.
Roof Ventilation Repairs
If your Oakland County home's roofing isn't properly ventilated, be sure to hire a licensed professional for the job. Our roofers will be able to make sure that your home has the roof ventilation that it needs. We'll make sure that the job is totally up to code, and if minimum codes aren't enough for your home, we'll be able to let you know.